UVic campus community garden
The garden's address 2100 McKenzie Avenue.
The garden office is located in the SUB (Student Union Building) at the University of Victoria, in the basement, room B020.
See below for walking and driving directions, plus an explanation of the garden's accessibility.
Walking directions from the Student Union Building:
1. Exit the SUB and cross the UVic bus loop towards the bookstore.
2. Walk past the bookstore, alongside the parking lot on your right hand side.
3. Cross Gabriola once you reach CARSA, and turn right.
4. At the crosswalk, cross McKenzie Ave and turn left.
5. Continue on the pathway. You will pass the TEF building, Wallace field, cross one intersection, and then find the garden down a diagonal path to the right side.
Driving directions from McKenzie Ave at Gordon Head Rd:
1. Head north on Gordon Head Rd.
2. Turn right on McCoy Rd (across from Mt. Douglas Secondary School)
3. Drive to the end of McCoy Rd and there will be a small 2-hour parking lot at the end.
4. If the parking is full, there is a pay parking lot on Gordon Head Rd.
5. Pay-parking is also available in the UVic parkade beside CARSA.
The garden is reached by mainly paved sidewalk and pathway that turns to gravel paths on a slight slope. Our main pathways are all on packed, small gravel, and further into the garden is only accessible via narrow grassy paths about 2-to-3 feet wide. Our wooden Gazebo has ramp access. Our current porta-porty is only accessible via grass paths and is a classic blue GFL design with a door and lock. The garden itself is entirely flat. When it's raining or wet, the grass and paths can be quite muddy and slippery.
There are bus stops along McKenzie ave for the 26 and 39; the best stop is called "McKenzie at Vikes Way." Otherwise, it is easiest to walk from the UVic bus loops for routes like the 4, 7, 11, 14, 15, etc.
The parking lot at the end of McCoy road is gravel, has no lines, and has room for 5 cars, one of which is a handicapped spot. Depending on parking and vehicle size, only 4 vehicles may fit easily. The lot is "2 Hours Free" as designated by Saanich and is outside of University of Victoria jurisdiction. The lot backs onto the multi-use paved path which then runs along the garden's gravel access. When you park, walk past the yellow post and the garden is to your right.
There is residential parking down McCoy as well which, along with the gravel lot, is inspected quite regularly by Saanich Parking Authority. If there are no free 2-hour spots available, we recommend going to UVic lot 16 on Gordon Head Road, which is approximately a 5-minute walk from the garden, or into the McKenzie Parkade, which is beside Lot 3, and is also about a 5-minute walk to the garden and requires crossing the lights at McKenzie and Vikes Way.
Both lots are pay-parking and can be paid for with the HONK app or by machine with credit card or coins, usually for $2 an hour.
If you have any accessibility questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us via our contact page.